Sunday, March 14, 2010

My first Infrared Photos...

Some of my friends kinda gone crazy after seeing Rudy shooting with three IR camera on our recent Laos trip with Singapore Trekkers.  And they all one by one gotten Fatigue (David Hilos) of ClubSNAP to modify newly acquired second hand DSLRs to IR cameras.

I SMS-ed David. And he replied what kind of effects I wanna achieve.
I really really didn't know what to answer him.  So I hazarded: "something where the leaves turn snowy white.".  "Then you would want an R72 filter modified DSLR," replied the experienced photographer.

And the rest was history.
After I gotten my camera back, I  excited went on a IR photo rampage..
And this was the very first series of my IR photos.
Really really infantile.



Here is the ClubSNAP link to this first series:  Thread: IR ~ Eu Tong Sen Street


Honestly I really didn't know what to expect.  The image that I got was a little mystifying, but I kept looking at them and comparing them to many of the IR shooter's shots.. I just don't get that kind of effect.  Something was wrong.
Luckily for me, Luke Yeo (aka SurrealDreamWalker) came to my rescue and he was the first person to teach me how to do my IR post processing.  And he demonstrated what I could do by channel swapping to achieve the following results:

Honestly, this may not look like much.  But it got me started on a whole long road of IR photography.  And I will forever be indebted to Luke Yeo for his patience and guidance in my very first IR photographs.
And I began to feel an affiliation to anything that was Infrared.





To the new comer, Infrared photography seems a little difficult to understand.  But it simply means that you are shooting with a IR filter in front of your camera sensor that cuts of a huge chunk of colour information, only allowing certain bands or frequencies of light to pass through.  This creates a surreal kind of feel to the end result, mostly where the foliage turn snow white or golden.  And clouds become more dramatic and skin tones changed to a ghostly pale appearance.  More to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment